Thursday 24 November 2016

The Axeman of New Orleans

It was the night of March 19, 1919 and jazz played in New Orleans.
I was coming home from work as always very late. Usually, I was not afraid to go home at night because New Orleans  is a city that never sleeps, but it was a special day.

Unknown maniac nicknamed "axeman" wielded in New Orleans and the surrounding area with an ax. It went on for about a year. But his latest act made our city tremble. A few days ago a letter appeared in the newspaper, which had excited the whole city.Axeman mocked the police and the detectives, who will never catch him. Moreover, he mentioned the exact date of his next hunting-March 19. It is today. Axeman also showed mercy, if you can call it that. He wrote that he would not enter those houses where the jazz will sound. Have you ever seen such a great connoisseur of jazz? Because of this, the city has gone crazy. I went home and from every house and bar sounded jazz.
At that moment I really regretted  that I didn`t agree to move to my boyfriend and decided to live in the house alone. I walked home more and more quickly. My heels clattered, merging with the sounds of jazz.I was becoming frightened.I imagined the axeman.An ample, stocky man with a square chin, a broad forehead ,heavy ,shaggy eyebrows and  icy eyes. God, I was not cowardly woman, but  it was so terribly. Probably,I had to stay at work or to spend the night in the house of my colleagues Mary.
Finally, I came to my house. It was detached house in Georgian style.  He looked unnaturally among all this cacophony. I enter the house and  quickly followed into the living room. That's where I kept my turntable and music records. Recently, my brother-in-law gave me a great vinyl record.
Suddenly, my heart sank into my boots.  Oh my God, I borrowed Mary my turntable !!! I sat on the sofa in the living room when I heard a knock. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something shiny. It was an ax…


No comments:

Post a Comment